Al-Quds University is dedicated to providing an inclusive and supportive learning environment for all students, including those with learning disabilities. To address the unique needs of these students, the university offers dedicated academic support services designed to help them overcome challenges and achieve academic success. These services play a crucial role in ensuring equal access to education and fostering a sense of belonging and empowerment among students with learning disabilities.
Academic Support Services for Students with Learning Disabilities
A. Individualized Learning Plans
- Personalized learning plans for students with learning disabilities, tailored to their specific needs, strengths, and academic goals.
- Collaborating with students, faculty, and support staff to create and implement these plans effectively.
- Regularly reviewing and updating the learning plans to ensure they remain relevant and responsive to students’ needs and progressing
B. Academic Accommodations
- Providing reasonable accommodations for students with learning disabilities, such as extended time on exams, note-taking assistance, or alternative formats for course materials.
- Coordinating with faculty to ensure the proper implementation of accommodations and facilitate communication between students and instructors.
- Monitoring the effectiveness of accommodations and make adjustments as needed to best support each student’s learning experience.
C. Tutoring and Study Skills Support
- Offering specialized tutoring services for students with learning disabilities, focusing on subject-specific assistance and learning strategies tailored to their needs.
- Providing workshops and resources on study skills, time management, and organization specifically designed for students with learning disabilities.
- Peer support networks where students with learning disabilities can connect with and learn from fellow students facing similar challenges.
D. Assistive Technology and Accessible Materials
- Access to assistive technology tools, such as text-to-speech software, digital organizers, and speech recognition programs, to help students with learning disabilities better engage with course content.
- The course materials, including textbooks, presentations, and online resources, are available in accessible formats for students with learning disabilities.
- Training and support for students, faculty, and staff on using assistive technology and creating accessible materials.
III. Raising Awareness and Promoting Inclusivity
A. Training for Faculty and Staff
- Offering training programs for faculty and staff to enhance their understanding of learning disabilities and develop skills to support students effectively.
- Providing guidance on inclusive teaching practices and strategies for accommodating students with learning disabilities in the classroom.
B. Awareness Campaigns and Events
- Organizing campus-wide awareness campaigns and events to educate the university community about learning disabilities and the importance of inclusive education.
- Encouraging student-led initiatives and clubs that focus on supporting and empowering students with learning disabilities.
C. Collaboration and Advocacy
- Foster a collaborative approach to supporting students with learning disabilities, involving students, faculty, staff, and support services in the development and implementation of academic support strategies.
- Advocate for the rights and needs of students with learning disabilities, both within the university and in the broader community.