We at Al-Quds University are dedicated to fostering an environment that promotes equality, diversity, and inclusion. We believe that these elements are integral to the academic and personal development of our community. This policy outlines our commitment to ensure respect, equal opportunities, and fair treatment for all.
- Equality Statement
We, at Al-Quds University, stand firm in our commitment to ensuring fair treatment and respect for all, actively combating discrimination and advancing equality of opportunity and fairness. In adherence to equality laws, public duties and Human Rights, we endeavour to provide a setting where diversity flourishes for staff, students, and visitors regardless of their ‘Protected Characteristics’. These include:
- Pregnancy and Maternity
- Race (color, ethnic or national background)
- Refugee and asylum seekers
- Religion or Belief
- Commitment to Equality
Our commitment to equality focuses on identifying and removing potential barriers that may prevent individuals from participating fully in our university community. We endeavour to provide the necessary support to empower each individual to achieve their potential, taking into account the impacts of our policies and practices on different groups.
- Assessing the Equality of Opportunity and Fairness
We commit to regularly assess our policies and practices to identify and address potential unfairness or inequality. Through these evaluations, we can enhance our commitment to equality, diversity, and inclusion.
- Responsibilities and Commitment
Every member of our community has a role to play in implementing this policy.
- Each individual is responsible for upholding the principles of equality and fairness, ensuring they neither incite nor ignore unfair or discriminatory behaviour.
- The University Regulation Committee is charged with ensuring the University meets its legal obligations for promoting equality and eliminating discrimination.
- The Director’s Office, responsible for University management, ensures these legal responsibilities are carried out throughout the University.
- The Director of Human Resources oversees policy implementation regarding staff and ensures appropriate equality and diversity inclusion training is provided.
- The Director of Student Services ensures policy implementation regarding students.
- Heads of departments are tasked with raising awareness of this policy and promoting equal opportunity within their spheres of influence.
- All staff and students are responsible for promoting equality and eliminating discrimination in adherence to the ‘Equality Statement’. Any discriminatory acts will be met with disciplinary action.
We commit to a comprehensive monitoring system to evaluate this policy’s effectiveness. We will collect and analyse data on the experiences of staff and students to ensure equality and fairness in our University.
To maintain policy effectiveness, we will monitor and annually publish:
- Staff and student population profiles across the ‘protected characteristics’ listed in Equality Statement.
- Data on student applications, offers, acceptances, assessment results, drop-out rates, and degree awards
- Information on recruitment, selection, promotion, re-grading, and training participation
- Complaints, including harassment and bullying, grievances, and disciplinary proceedings
- Complaints of Discrimination, Harassment, and Supporting Policies
We take allegations of discrimination and harassment seriously. Any complaints contradicting this policy will be addressed confidentially and promptly through our established complaints procedure.
- Policy Review
To maintain the relevance of this policy, we will periodically review it, involving relevant stakeholders in any proposed changes.
Through this policy, Al-Quds University reiterates its commitment to fostering a diverse and inclusive community, valuing the unique contributions of each individual, and ensuring equal opportunities for all. We strive to create a respectful environment where individual potential is recognized and nurtured.